Bookmarks for biblical and classical studies
Bible and Religious Studies
- Study of Judaism
and Christianity: Basic texts online, links to virtual museums, a most
- The Online Critical Pseudepigrapha, an archive of modern critical texts, in Hebrew, Greek, Latin, and other languages, of the “Old Testament” Pseudepigrapha and related literature.
texts from the Cairo Geniza, kept at Cambridge University, UK.
- Videos of interest on the archaeology and textual study of the bible (PBS/Nova series), mostly by specialists.
- The intertestamental period, an excellent site reviewing the political history of the Hellenistic and early Roman period, as well as special topics (Daniel, Temple, DSS, etc.), by Professor Barry D. Smith.
- Inscriptions of Israel and Palestine (Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, Latin), a project of Brown University, with about 1,500 items so far in the databank. There are about 15,000 inscriptions in those languages, dating from the early Persian period to the Islamic conquest (ca. 600 BCE to 640 CE).
- Orthodoxy and heresy
- The Nag Hammadi Library: numerous texts and reference works.
- A recent Gospel of Judah, in Coptic (Sahidic). The page gives you much of the recent press, and the thriller-like chase such documents trigger among the good, the bad, and the ugly.
- A translation of the Gospel of Judah.
- Martyrdom stories: Perpetua's passion (paragraphs 3-10 especially: her own words);
- Other texts:
Ancient history, general
- Internet ancient history sourcebook: a great departure point, well organized.
- Perseus Project Homepage: An
extraordinary site with maps, images of vases, photographs, descriptions of
all the material presented, lexica, historical introductions, and much more.
The databank is continuously expanding. The existence of this site is the
main reason why I still believe the web can be a wonderful resource for education.
- Diotima: A great site replete
with materials for the study of women and gender in the ancient world. No longer maintained since 2010.
Levant and Israel archaeology
Fri Mar 29 15:24:56 PDT 2013