- History Department, Cowell College, UCSC
- Office: 242 Cowell
- Phone: O: 459-2727
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Ph.D., Classics, University of Pennsylvania, 1984
- MA, Classics, University of Pennsylvania, 1981
- BA, Pitzer College, 1978
- Greek History
- Roman History
- Political Philosophy
- "Ancient History and Western Civilization," in Occasional Papers
of the American Philological Association's Committee on Ancient History,
- "Religion and Society in Classical Greece," in D. Ogden, ed.,
Blackwell's Companion to Greek Religion, Blackwell forthcoming.
- "Mother has Moved in With Us: The Conclusion of a Letter From Roman
Egypt," in P. Yale Aest., forthcoming
- "Couples in a Column and a New Basilikos Grammateus," in P.
Yale Aest., forthcoming
- "Receipts for Payment of the Desert Tax," in P. Yale Aest.,
- "The Ethics of World History," Journal of World History
16 (2005), 33-49
- "The American Ephebe: the Ephebic Oath, U.S. Education and Nationalism,"
Classical World 97 (2004), 384-407
Major Current Areas of Concentration
- Nationalism and scholarship
- Ancient History and World History
- The history of the document
I was born in Mississippi in 1956 and raised in and around Los Angeles. I took
my undergraduate degree from Pitzer College.
After attending graduate school at the University
of Pennsylvania and studying at the American
School of Classical Studies in Athens, I taught for 5 years at SUNY
Buffalo. I moved in 1990 to the University
of California at Santa Cruz. Most of
now lives in Missouri. Myfather is also an academic and taught in the Department of Religious Studies at Missouri State University, in Springfield Mo. My mother
is a lawyer. I have two sisters, Cindi and Kay. Cindi
lives in Kansas City with her husband and three children; Kay
lives close by.
My wife, Jenny Lynn, teaches Greek and Latin at the Hotchkiss School in northwest Connecticut; our daughters, Meg, Ella and Mary, attend school in neighboring Lakeville. We all spend our summers in the Adirondacks,
where we are currently trying to climb all 46
of the high peaks, frequently participating in ATIS-sponsored
hikes. My son Chaz, who now attends Santa
Barbara High School, sometimes joins us there. You can find us there (if
you can find us there) in the Domus Lutea.
Advice For Majors and Other Students
- Melvyl-- the second
- CruzCat-- a humble
thing but our own
- OhioLink-- what a university library
catalogue should be.
- Libdex-- links to library catalogues world
wide and in the U.S.
- ABE books: for academic
books on the web (Amazon and
Barnes and Noble are interesting
for their best-seller lists).
- Argos-- Limited
Area Search of the Ancient and Medieval Internet
links to journals and their TOCs.
- BMCR-- Book
reviews and a search engine; from Bryn Mawr and Penn.
convenient collection of search engines.
more bibliography, from Germany.
more articles, from Toronto.
Epigraphy on the Web
Papyrology on the Web
On-line journals (current TOC's)
UC Santa Cruz - Charles
Hedrick - 15 January 1998
Return to History
Board home page
Return to Classics